- PURPOSE OF OUR POLICY
- Language Plus Pty Ltd ABN 56 622 138 774 (we, us or
in place to protect the Personal Information that we collect about individuals that is
necessary and incidental to:
- Providing the system and services that we offer (including PTEPlus); and
- The normal day-to-day operations of our business.
the Australian Government for the handling of Personal Information under the
Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act).
to understand what Personal Information we collect and store, why we do so, how we
receive and/or obtain that information, and the rights an individual has with respect
to their Personal Information in our possession.
- WHO AND WHAT THIS POLICY APPLIES TO
the Privacy Act (Personal Information).
- We handle Personal Information in our own right and also for and on behalf of our
customers and users.
or educational institutions, however it does apply to information about the people in
those businesses, companies or educational institutions that we store.
collected or stored electronically or in hardCopy.
- If, at any time, an individual provides Personal Information or other information about
someone other than himself or herself, the individual warrants that they have that
person's consent to provide such information for the purpose specified.
- Users under the age of 18 years must not use our website and services without their
parent or legal guardian’s consent.
- THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- In the course of business it is necessary for us to collect Personal Information. This
information allows us to identify who an individual is for the purposes of our business,
share Personal Information when asked of us, contact the individual in the ordinary
course of business and transact with the individual. Without limitation, the type of
information we may collect is:
- Personal Information. We may collect personal details such as an
individual’s name, location, date of birth, nationality, family details and other
information defined as “Personal Information” in the Privacy Act that allows us to
identify who the individual is;
- Contact Information. We may collect information such as an
individual’s email address, telephone & fax number, third-party usernames, residential,
business and postal address and other information that allows us to contact the individual;
- Answers. We may collect an individual’s answers to questions within PTEPlus.
- Financial Information. We may collect financial information related
to an individual such as any bank or credit card details used to transact with us
and other information that allows us to transact with the individual and/or provide
them with our services;
- Statistical Information. We may collect information about an
individual’s online and offline preferences, habits, movements, trends, decisions,
associations, memberships, finances, purchases and other information for statistical
- Information an individual sends us. We may collect any personal
correspondence that an individual sends us, or that is sent to us by others about
the individual’s activities.
- We may collect other Personal Information about an individual, which we will maintain
- We may also collect non-Personal Information about an individual such as information
regarding their computer, network and browser. This may include their IP address.
Where non-Personal Information is collected the Australian Privacy Principles do not apply.
- HOW INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
- Most information will be collected in association with an individual’s use of PTEPlus,
an enquiry about PTEPlus or generally dealing with us. However we may also receive
Personal Information from sources such as advertising, an individual’s own promotions,
public records, mailing lists, contractors, staff, recruitment agencies and our business
partners. In particular, information is likely to be collected as follows:
- Registrations/Subscriptions. When an individual registers or
subscribes for a service, account, connection or other process whereby they enter
Personal Information details in order to receive or access something, including a
- Sharing with other Users. When an individual provides Personal
Information to other users of the website or service;
- Supply. When an individual supplies us with goods or services;
- Contact. When an individual contacts us in any way;
- Access. When an individual accesses us physically we may require
them to provide us with details for us to permit them such access. When an
individual accesses us through the internet we may collect information using
cookies (if relevant – an individual can adjust their browser’s setting to accept or
reject cookies) or analytical services; and/or
- Pixel Tags. Pixel tags enable us to send email messages in a format
customers can read and they tell us whether mail has been opened.
- As there are many circumstances in which we may collect information both electronically and physically, we will endeavour to ensure that an individual is always aware of when their Personal Information is being collected.
- Where we obtain Personal Information without an individual’s knowledge (such as by accidental acquisition from a client) we will either delete/destroy the information, or inform the individual that we hold such information, in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
- WHEN PERSONAL INFORMATION IS USED & DISCLOSED
- In general, the primary principle is that we will not use any Personal Information other than for the purpose for which it was collected other than with the individual’s permission. The purpose of collection is determined by the circumstances in which the information was collected and/or submitted.
- If it is necessary for us to disclose an individual’s Personal Information to third parties in a manner compliant with the Australian Privacy Principles in the course of our business, we will inform you that we intend to do so, or have done so, as soon as practical.
- We will not disclose or sell an individual’s Personal Information to unrelated third parties under any circumstances.
- Information is used to enable us to operate our business, especially as it relates to an individual. This may include:
- The provision of goods and services between an individual and us;
- Verifying an individual’s identity;
- Communicating with an individual about:
- Their relationship with us;
- Our goods and services;
- Our own marketing and promotions to customers and prospects;
- Offers from our partners to our customers;
- Competitions, surveys and questionnaires;
- Investigating any complaints about or made by an individual, or if we have reason to suspect that an individual is in breach of any of our terms and conditions or that an individual is or has been otherwise engaged in any unlawful activity; and/or
- As required or permitted by any law (including the Privacy Act).
- There are some circumstances in which we must disclose an individual’s information:
- Where we reasonably believe that an individual may be engaged in fraudulent, deceptive or unlawful activity that a governmental authority should be made aware of;
- As required by any law (including the Privacy Act); and/or
- In order to sell our business (in that we may need to transfer Personal Information to a new owner).
- We may utilise third-pay service providers (such as Gmail from Google, Inc., and MailChimp from The Rocket Science Group LLC) to communicate with an individual and to store contact details about an individual. These service providers are located in the United States of America.
- OPTING “IN” OR “OUT”
- An individual may opt to not have us collect their Personal Information. This may prevent us from offering them some or all of our services and may terminate their access to some or all of the services they access with or through us. They will be aware of this when:
- Opt In. Where relevant, the individual will have the right to choose to have information collected and/or receive information from us; or
- Opt Out. Where relevant, the individual will have the right to choose to exclude himself or herself from some or all collection of information and/or receiving information from us.
- If an individual believes that they have received information from us that they did not opt in or out to receive, they should contact us on the details below.
- THE SAFETY & SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- We will take all reasonable precautions to protect an individual’s Personal Information from unauthorised access. This includes appropriately securing our physical facilities and electronic networks.
- PTEPlus uses SSL encryption to store and transfer Personal Information. Despite this, the security of online transactions and the security of communications sent by electronic means or by post cannot be guaranteed. Each individual that provides information to us via the internet, over the phone or by post does so at their own risk. We cannot accept responsibility for misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, Personal Information where the security of information is not within our control.
- We are not responsible for the privacy or security practices of any third party (including third parties that we are permitted to disclose an individual’s Personal Information to in accordance with this policy or any applicable laws). The collection and use of an individual’s information by such third parties may be subject to separate privacy and security policies.
- If an individual suspects any misuse or loss of, or unauthorised access to, their Personal Information, they should let us know immediately.
- We are not liable for any loss, damage or claim arising out of another person’s use of the Personal Information where we were authorised to provide that person with the Personal Information.
- HOW TO ACCESS AND/OR UPDATE INFORMATION
- Users of PTEPlus can update their Personal Information from within their PTEPlus account or profile.
- Subject to the Australian Privacy Principles, an individual has the right to request from us the Personal Information that we have about them, and we have an obligation to provide them with such information within 28 days of receiving their written request.
- If an individual cannot update its own information, we will correct any errors in the Personal Information we hold about an individual within 7 days of receiving written notice from them about those errors.
- It is an individual’s responsibility to provide us with accurate and truthful Personal Information. We cannot be liable for any information that is provided to us that is incorrect.
- We may charge an individual a reasonable fee for our costs incurred in meeting any of their requests to disclose the Personal Information we hold about them.
- COMPLAINTS AND DISPUTES
- If an individual has a complaint about our handling of their Personal Information, they should address their complaint in writing to the details below.
- If we have a dispute regarding an individual’s Personal Information, we both must first attempt to resolve the issue directly between us.
- If we become aware of any unauthorised access to an individual’s Personal Information we will inform them at the earliest practical opportunity once we have established what was accessed and how it was accessed.
- CONTACTING INDIVIDUALS
- From time to time, we may send an individual important notices, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies. Because this information is important to the individual’s interaction with us, they may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- CONTACTING US
- All correspondence with regards to privacy should be addressed to:
The Privacy Officer
Language Plus Pty Ltd
757 Bourke Street, Docklands VIC 3008
You may contact the Privacy Officer by email in the first instance.
- ADDITIONS TO THIS POLICY